Wednesday 9 May 2012

Squaring Blocks

I didn't think squaring blocks would take so much precision. I must admit I never really gave it much thought before. This is good though... much happier with the results but I still have a ways to go before I piece!

So Jeannie does it this way. First you measure the block and see what its turned out to be. Our blocks were supposed to be 9 1/2 inches but mine were a little less. The trouble was that the needle of the sewing machine I'm using at the store is a little off centre and needs to be fixed so all my blocks are slightly smaller than they should be.

Oh! I just remembered... I love working with the quarter inch foot! What a great little foot it is!

Ok... getting back... so we figured that the block could measure 9 1/4 inches. Now Jeannie worked out that half of 9 1/4 is 4  5/8th of an inch... I have no clue about 5/8ths and 3/8ths... but there is a sheet somewhere that will tell me all this. For now I know that if you have .625 it's a 5/8 and you can count these lines off on your ruler. So she marked the spot on the ruler for me and I used it as a guide. I've got to figure this out though.

Then, we used the centre square and folded it so that it was half and marked it with a pin. These flower head pins work very well for them 'coz they're flat and you can place your ruler over it and cut.


Got my mark there
So I had to measure each side and cut and square the block. It's a little tedious but it's worth it. I also find that fabric here seems to stretch a little more than what I used to buy at home so I need to be a little more careful with it.

Squared Block
I bought some fabric to make a pillow case for my nephew. He's 7 and he likes skulls 'coz he thinks they're cool. So here's what I'll be using for his pillow case. :) This is going to be fun!



Linking up to W.i.P at Freshly Pieced.


WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

No comments:

Post a Comment