Tuesday 6 November 2012

Improv Piecing Experiment 2



So I had a bunch of bright scraps from the Grandmother's Flower Garden Flowers I'm making for the store and I've been wanting to use them. This is what I did.

I took a piece of batting (left over from another quilt), cut some backing fabric for it, and a piece of Kona White. I just ironed them on to the batting. No pinning or basting.

Then I took scraps, used my walking foot and sewed them on. Placed the fabric right side down on the opposide side of how I wanted the fabric placed. Sewed a 1/4" seam (kid of approximately... I just used the edge of my walking foot). And then pressed the fabric to the right side. I made sure that I folded in a 1/4" seam if I knew I would be letting some of the white background show.



Added more strips and scraps as went along. 



And added some quilting stitches now and then when I felt like it. 



Squared it up when I was done. Just needs binding. 


I like doing these minis.... I feel like I'm getting some practice and my work can evolve. 

5 comments:

  1. I love this technique - what a great way to use scraps of all sizes and shapes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is exactly what is called kaudi quilting! the traditional quilting of north karnataka!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vidya. I should look that up.
      I did do a workshop with Nirmala akka that Buda Folklore organized.
      Is her style the same?

      Delete
  3. Are you based in india ? Where do you bu batting from ?

    ReplyDelete